What happened to Tommy Fury? How a rib injury derailed fight against Jake Paul

The path to Fury is turning off.

While the anticipated rematch between Tyron Woodley and Jake Paul hits viewers on Saturday, December 18, the original showdown between Paul and Tommy Fury may have intrigued fight fans a bit more. Unfortunately, Fury’s training camp went awry, prompting the neophyte boxer to withdraw from the fight in December.

A months-long feud between Paul and Fury led to a possible showdown between the two on Saturday night, but a training ground marred by illness and injury has led a possible grudge fight between the two to an undisclosed later date.

This is what happened:

What happened to Tommy Fury?

Tommy Fury’s training camp prior to his Dec. 18 fight with Jake Paul was marred by a series of problems, beginning with a fairly serious illness and ending with a rib injury.

According to promoter Frank Warren, Fury battled a fairly serious bacterial infection during the first four weeks of his camp. As Fury worked through the cold, the fighter said his weakened state led to him breaking and fracturing several ribs thanks to a punch from an “idiot” in the gym.

Fury’s father, John Fury, said a fighter in the gym punched Tommy in the ribs and broke his bone.

The news that Fury was pulling out of the fight came after promoter Warren said he had caught a little “cold” in November. Fury said that he had been ill for about a month.

“Tommy had a bit of a cold, but I hope he’s okay,” Warren said in November. “We are in Morecambe, so hopefully we know more then, but he is willing to do it and wants to fight.”

Fury shared images of his X-rays to remove any doubt that he may be dodging the fight to begin with.

On December 6, Jake Paul announced that Fury pulled out of his upcoming fight on December 18 due to a “medical issue.” Paul took to Twitter to announce the news.

(Editor’s note: video contains NSFW language).

“It’s official: Tommy Fury is the biggest f … in the box,” Paul said after the announcement. “He has withdrawn from the fight, the Furies have withdrawn from the fight due to a medical condition. Who knows what the hell is going on in that camp.”

In the next few hours, Fury detailed all of his ailments that forced him to withdraw from the fight.

Fury and Paul have been fighting in recent months, leading to their fight getting inked and gearing up for the pre-Christmas showdown. Paul, instead, sets his sights on a rematch with Woodley. The first fight went to Paul in a split decision victory, keeping him undefeated in his professional career.

Fury, also undefeated, last defeated Anthony Taylor on the Paul-Woodley undercard in August. The fight was signed and sealed on October 29, but will have to be delivered at a later date.